Fashion Or Plain Crazy?




Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga
When Lady Gaga stepped on to the music scene, her fashion was simply summed up by the word "whacky". She had over-sized, pointy shoulders, unconventional materials and shapes that have never been seen outside of geometry classes. But now, I have noticed that those same outfits have trickled down into mainstream. More accessible designers are toying with these tricky shapes, colors, and materials and the people are loving it. It has become "in" to take a fashion risk- the new normal. The days of classic pretty are long gone. The question is "Who is making a statement and how?"

Recently, I saw the image below from the Patrick Mohr Spring/ Summer 2011 Mercedes Benz Runway show in Berlin, Germany. I barely even flinched. I realize that I’ve become numb to “shocking fashion displays” realizing that someone might actually wear an outfit like that one (especially a man).

Patrick Mohr

Kanye West (L) and ASAP Rocky (R)
I personally think that it’s a good thing that avant-garde, haute couture, artistic, and or boundary pushing fashion is becoming more mainstream. This means that people are more free to wear what they want and express themselves how they see fit. Not being labeled weird or a freak show is a positive thing. Now these people are labeled bold, and fashion forward. I remember the days when matching was the only requirement for a good outfit which was limiting. Many times I would be questioned, "Why wasn’t I matching?" as if I was doing a public misdeed. Luckily, those days are in the past, and if you want to break the fashion rules and wear pink with yellow, circles with stripes, sweatpants with heals, or a full on beard it’s ok.
Andre J


So ladies, is there a limit to fashion? How far can you push the boundaries?

Comments

Popular Posts